Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Trip To the Dr

Unknowingly we had made an appointment for the boys to follow up with the primary care Dr for a illness (Virus) they had both had a week or so weeks Prior. This or that Virus may have been the trigger event. Ill add to that at a later point when I use some of my own hypothesis.

We make it for a Monday, on top of that I personally make an appointment next door with my dentist for a Root Canal. Figuring it was a Monday, cant get much worse. I can meet my wife next door so we can go in together in case there should be any weirdness (Still scared to death about the bruising and the inferred implications). Upon entering the Dr's. Child one checks out OK...Child 2 Checks out Ok. My wife speaks up after his throat is checked. We want you to check out some of theses bruises on his back.

The anticipation for his reaction was almost too much to bear. Our Dr., a quiet, gentle and soft spoken gentleman, pushes here, there, feels around, pushes again. Says go across the hall and have his blood work done and then we will talk. What is it we ask. He retort, lets just get the blood work done I have an idea but I want to make sure. Seething with anticipation, we go across the hall, wait in line for what feels like hours, although it was minutes. They draw Sams blood and ask us to return to the hall. Within 10 mins, a nurse pops her head out the door. Matthew, Julie the Dr would like to see you again. This was it, I thought, Iron deficiency, something vitamin related.

In a moment I will never forget as long as I live. This soft spoken man looks at us and says Matthew, Julie, I need you to make a decision. You can go to OK City or you can go to Dallas but I need you to go to Children's hospital (I'm thinking make an appointment in a week or so) tonight, right now and take this with you. He says there is no one here in town that can deal with this, your son is in Danger of a brain hemorrhage. This truly was about the farthest thing from what I thought he was going to say. Our stomachs sank, we looked at each other almost as if to acknowledge the other heard the same thing.......

No comments:

Post a Comment